Monday, March 29, 2010

PLEONASM

Hi friends!
A few days back, I published a mini article on 'Redundancy'. Many of you said the article was very informative. Thank you for the feedback and interest. This is the second part of that article.
Pleonasm means 'redundancy of expression in speaking or writing'.

Many people, unknowingly, use expressions such as ATM machine, PIN code, Past history etc. in their speech or writing. In fact ATM stands for 'Automated Teller Machine', so the abbreviation doesn't need an additional 'machine'. Likewise, PIN represents Postal Index Number ('number' equals 'code'). And no doubt history is the 'written account of past events'.

Here's a useful list:

That's absolutelt necessary.
We gave them advance warning.
Everyone reached at 11 a.m in the morning.
Books, pens and papers etc.
I will call you at about 5 p.m.
Attach them together.
I'm planning of writing an autobiography of my life.
Is there any automatic ATM machine nearby?
It's a bad evil.
He doesn't know even the basic fundamentals of Computing.
I want cash money.
Why are you circling round the tree?
Classify these sentences into groups.
She can climb up the tree.
I don't watch CNN news network.
Can I get some cold ice.
We're collaborating together with them.
What are the component parts of a motor?
Please continue on your work.
I couldn't see anything in the dark night.


                           
Compiler: Jacob.
Posted by Nova English Campus

1 comment:

Pooja said...

Dear Mr Jacob,

Hope you are doing great. Your attempt to publish an article on 'Pleonasm' is appreciable but I have a few questions. I wanted to discuss them with you in person, but.... Anyway, could you please tell me what do you mean by "absolutelt" and how is it related to necessary.

In addition, in the fourth example mentioned above, which word can be replaced by the other one. I mean if 'and' or 'etc' is a repetition.

No doubt, you have done a great job; I think if you had highlighted the correct and incorrect words with a different colour, the meaning would have been more clear and even more easy to understand.

With Loving Regards,
Pooja