Friday, March 12, 2010

NOVA ENGLISH CAMPUS: VERBS THAT ARE ALWAYS FOLLOWED BY THE GERUND

The following verbs must always be followed by GERUNDS (aka verbal nouns).

ADMIT
APPRECIATE
AVOID
CAN'T HELP
CONSIDER
DELAY
DENY
ENJOY
FINISH
MIND
MISS
POSTPONE
PRACTICE
QUIT
RECALL
REGRET
REPORT
RESENT
RESIST
RESUME
RISK
SUGGEST

John admitted stealing the jewels.
(Don't say: John admitted to steal the jewels.)

The same rule goes with the following words (highlighted in deep blue).

I don't APPRECIATE BEING treated like a second-class citizen.
(I don't APPRECIATE TO BE treated like a second-class citizen.)


You should AVOID MENTIONING your age.
(You should AVOID TO MENTION your age.)


We COULDN'T HELP LAUGHING.
(We COULDN'T HELP TO LAUGH.)


We are CONSIDERING BUYING a new car.
Why did you DELAY TELLING me the truth?
He DENIED STEALING the jewels.
We ENJOYED SEEING them again after a long time.
Hush! He hasn't FINISHED SPEAKING.
Would you MIND OPENING the door?
I MISSED HITTING the target.
Will you POSTPONE TAKING the test?
You must PRACTISE REVERSING the car patiently.
Please QUIT SMOKING.
I don't RECALL MEETING her before.
We REGRETTED GOING to the party last night.
The neighbours REPORTED SEEING a stranger.
My son RESENTS BEING treated like a child.
The bank RESISTED CUTTING the interest rates.
She RESUMED DRIVING after five minutes.
Don't RISK VISITING Kashmir this winter.
Jane SUGGESTED me JOINING here.

2 comments:

Pooja said...

Dearest Jacob ji,

Thanks for the above mentioned examples which helped to understand the meaning more clearly. I must confess that I really feel honored to know you (such a learned person). You are doing an amazing work. Keep up the great job.

With lots of love,

Pooja

Unknown said...

Dear sir,
I mostly thanks you for this examples which help
increse the knowledge and remove my hesitation.

With love,

Shehnav Roop Rahi