Thursday, March 11, 2010

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 'WILL' & 'SHALL'..............

I think no other part of grammar has caused such high tension debates as the 'right' use of SHALL / WILL. Many users of English argue that 'SHALL' must be used with first person Subjects, and 'WILL' with Second and Third persons to show the plain future, as in

"I SHALL call you tomorrow."
&
"HE will do it".

Many conventional grammarians argue that if 'WILL' replaces 'SHALL' in the first sentence ("I WILL call you tomorrow"), it gets an element of determination, necessity or obligation. However, the majority of educated English speaking community all over the world no longer seem to stick to this rule.

To put it simply,
"I SHALL call you tomorrow" or "I WILL call you tomorrow" deoes not make any difference.
"He WILL help you" and "He SHALL help you" mean the same.

Here is an intersting but real story about WILL/SHALL conundrum:

Once a Scotsman fell from the London Bridge. As he was drowning, he cried out for help.....
"I WILL drown and nobody SHALL save me....."
The onlookers, all Englishmen, thought that he is determined to drown and let him die.... :-)))))))

They interpretted the Scotsman's cry as "I am DETERMINED to drown, and nobody is OBLIGED to save me".

Good night Guys.
And I will be back right here tomorrow.
Or "I SHALL"..... ?  :-D   ;-)

Lots of love
Jacob (Nova English Campus)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jack,
T's Jazz here, in Luhiana right now. Sorry I couldn't comment a few words on ur wonderful blog. I was simply googling last night on the lappy, and believe me or not, while searching for some doubt clearence, ur BLOG popped up on the first page of Gooooooogle!!! Wow! Congrats! Within a couple of weeks, you managed to climb to the first page of the busiest search engine. All the best. Keep it up.

Cheeeeeeers,
Jazz.

Pooja said...

Dearest Jacob ji,

Thanks for publishing the different ways of using 'will' or 'shall'. I was also using 'will' in the same conventional way till today. Also, the story of that Scotsman is really funny. I must say that you are too good at doing things like that.

Look forward for your upcoming editions.

With Love,
Pooja