Saturday, March 13, 2010

Nova English Campus. (DIRECT OBJECTS and INDIRECT OBJECTS)

There are two ways of writing the objects of many verbs without changing the meaning of the sentence.
This is possible by changing the positions of DIRET OBJECT and INDIRECT OBJECT. Before doing that, let's see what a 'direct object' and an 'indirect object' are:

DIRET OBJECT= an animate(living) or inanimate(non-living) object which is the first receiver of an action.
INDIRECT OBJECT= an animate object to whom or for whom something is done. Usually, a non-living object cannot be an indirect object

E.g., I GAVE A BOOK TO JOHN.
In this sentence A BOOK is the direct object because the first action was that of 'taking the book' in my hand, and the second action (the indirect object) was giving it to Dan'. So, this sentence can also be written as: "I GAVE DAN A BOOK."


Here are some more verbs that allow object transaction:

I gave hundred rupees to him.
I gave him hundred rupees.

They built a shed for us in the back yard.
They built us a shed in the back yard.

She brought a chocolate for me.
She brought me a chocolate.

I will buy some toys for you.
I will buy you some toys.

I cut a piece of birthdaycake for them all.
I cut them all a piece of birthdaycake.

My son told me to draw a picture for him.
My son told me to draw him a picture.


Can you find a hotel for me?
Can you find me a hotel?

Can I get a beer for you?
Can I get you a beer?

They couldn't give any information to me.
They couldn't give me any information.

Please hand this bag to her.
Please hand her this bag.



She made coffee for us all.
She made us all coffee.

He promised the money to me.
He promised me the money.

No comments: