Monday, March 8, 2010

Common Errors of Indian Users of English (Part 3)

As requested by many of you, here are a few more frequent mistakes :

She is my maternal/paternal aunty.

(She is my AUNTY.)

He is my maternal/paternal uncle.
(He is my UNCLE.)

Insert your shirt.
(TUCK IN your shirt.)

The nurse examined my pulse.
(The nurse FELT my pulse.)

Rain is coming.
(IT'S GOING TO RAIN.)

I am living here from/since six years.
(I HAVE BEEN living here FOR six years.)

I am practicing yoga from my childhood.
(I HAVE BEEN practicing yoga SINCE my childhood.)

She married last year.
(She GOT MARRIED last year.)

My wife delivered a healthy boy.
(My wife WAS DELIVERED OF a healthy boy.)

I'm sorry sir ji.
(I'm sorry SIR.)

I’m capable to do it.
(I’m capable OF DOING it.)

They worked hardly to pass the test.
(They worked HARD to pass the test.)

The driver, as well as four passengers, were injured.
(The driver, as well as four passengers, WAS injured.)

My younger brother is taller than me.
(My younger brother is taller than I.)

This task is more easy than the other one.
(This task is EASIER than the other one.)

The minister will reach today afternoon.
(The minister will reach THIS afternoon.)

I saw her in the park yesterday night.
(I saw her in the park LAST NIGHT.)

John caught five fishes.
(John caught five FISH.)

I have got headache.
(I have got A HEADACHE.)

She felt embarrassing.
(She felt EMBARRASSED.)

2 comments:

Pooja said...

Dear Jacob ji,

Thanks for publishing some more mistakes made by Indian speakers in English unconsciously.

I think we have developed an unsaid understanding between us. The first thing I do when I turn on my Laptop is to click for your blogsite and look for the new additions. I believe you also look for my comments before editing something new everyday. I believe comments always inspires one to go forward. I pray you keep on adding new things daily.

Looking forward for your forthcoming additions.

Blessings,
Pooja

t a said...

Sir,
My name is Shailender Singh. From Chandigarh. While browsing the web last night for some catchy words on Google, accidentally, your blog popped up. A quick glance at it made me really go crazy! Great work! Keep it up!!
Will publicise ur work. Please keep blogging...., Everyday!

Regards
Shailender.
Chd