Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Errors to be omitted while using English...... (Part 4)

A few more mistakes that I came across while interacting with a few students. Please note that the sentences given in brackets are standard English. Your valuable comments &and suggestions after reading the post are requested . Read on...................

My sister married with a doctor.
(My sister MARRIED a doctor.)

My big brother is studying in England.
(My ELDER BROTHER is studying in England.)

I want to reduce my weight.
(I want to LOSE weight.)

My dad is busy in his business.
(My dad is BUSY WITH his business.)

I’m busy with cleaning up my room.
(I’m busy CLEANING up her room.)

He is afraid from strangers.
(He is afraid OF strangers.)

Five years are a long period.
(Five years IS a long period.)

On the switch before inserting the disc.
(TURN ON the switch before inserting the disc.)

I like to eat good foods.
(I like to eat good FOOD.)

I hate my son-in-laws.
(I hate my SONS-IN-LAW.)

She doesn’t like the cricket.
(She doesn’t like CRICKET.)

Vincent is a matured man.
(Vincent is a MATURE man.)

Jane advised me don’t do it again.
(Jane advised me NOT TO DO it again.)

My uncle returned back from the U.S last year.
(My uncle RETURNED FROM the U.S last year.)
(My uncle CAME BACK FROM the U.S last year.)

We'll get down at the next bus stop.
(We'll GET OFF at the next bus stop.)

I'm having a headache.
(I have A headache / I've GOT A headache.)

Although he is poor, but he works very hard.
(Although he is poor, he works very hard.)

I get my salary twice a month.
(I get PAID twice a month.)

Don't expect me too much.
(Don't EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM/OF me.)

I forgot my hat in the house.
(I left my hat in the house.)

No comments: