Sunday, March 7, 2010

MOST COMMON ERRORS IN ENGLISH MADE BY INDIAN STUDENTS (Part 2)

Here are another twenty blunders in English that many non-native speakers often make:
Plese note that the sentences given in brackets are CORRECT)

He came back in India.
(He came back TO India.)

I'd like to study in abroad/overseas.
(I'd like to study abroad/overseas.)

He drives his bike so fast.
(He RIDES his bike so fast.)

I don't know to drive a car.)
(I don't know HOW TO drive a car.)

They entered into the hall.
(They entered the hall.)

I understood her the question.
(I MADE HER UNDERSTAND the question.)

He teches very well, isn't it?
(He teches very well, DOESN'T he?)

You are hiding something, isn't it?
(You are hiding something, AREN'T YOU?)

I would like to make a doctor.
(I would like to BE/BECOME a doctor.)

We had talked to him yesterday.
(We talked to him yesterday.)

We bought some furnitures.
(We bought some FURNITURE).

I cut my hair yesteday.
(I GOT MY HAIR CUT yesterday.)

If I am you, I will never do so.)
(If I WERE you, I WOULD never do so.)

I love listening music.
(I love LISTENING TO music.)

I missed my keys.
(I LOST my keys.)

Respected Sir, ................
(DEAR Sir, ................)

What's the time in your watch?
(What's the time BY your watch?)

Many foreign people visit my country.
(Many FOREIGNERS visit my country.)

Aamir Khan is my favourite hero.
(Aamir Khan is my favourite ACTOR/FILM STAR.)

My mom is a good cooker.
(My mom is a good COOK.)

10 comments:

Pooja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pooja said...

Dearest Jacob ji,

Thankyou so much for the above mentioned mistakes often made by Indian speakers in English. Here are a few more examples as below:

At which time?
(At WHAT time?)

The statement/ sentence says.......
The statement/ sentence READS......

The bridge is over the river.
The bridge is ACROSS the river.

With Love,

POOJA

Pooja said...

Hi!

Here is one more example of the same type as below:

This is to inform you all...
(This is to inform you......)

Pooja

Pooja

Unknown said...

These are all too simple.. Indians are grown up!! No more mistakes like this.. suggest good ones..

Unknown said...

Is there difference between Job and profession ( In grammar point of view)

Unknown said...

We use Article "an" in front of Vowel sounds, but why not article "a" ?

Unknown said...


"You run"

Can you write the above sentence in Six varieties.

nancy john said...

English is the hardest language to be fluent in, in the world. However, it is not the hardest language to learn on the basic level.

common mistakes in English speaking

saketapuram said...

Good afternoon sir
I'd like to know how to say these expressions more acceptably..
1.I will explain you.
2.Let me suggest you something.
3.sorry for the delay in replying to your letter.
4."My computer is not working"."Ok.
Do something".
5.No parking before the gate.
6.Parking at the backside.
7.She is my cousin sister and he is
my real brother.
Thank you
Srikanth saketapuram
Hyderabad
9795376299
srikanthoneness@gmailcom

JACOBSIELTS said...

1 . I'll explain it to you.
2. Let me suggest something to you.

4. My computer is out of order. Please fix it.

5. No parking in front of the gate

6. Parking at the back of the . .. ....

7. She is my cousin. He is my brother.