Monday, August 9, 2010

Hi! I WILL FOOT YOUR BILL

Although English enjoys the unique status of being the international language, it confuses not only a budding user but also a confident speaker or writer, mainly because of its variety of dialects, accents and, of course, the geographically diverse vocabulary. The leading varieties of English are British English, American English and Australian English. Indian English too is fast on its way to be a prominent variety of English.

However, the leading pair are the so-called Queen's English (British English) and the American English. The confusion for a language learner that is created by the differences between these two language cousins is really big!

Here are a few most common words which are different in British English and the American variety. In each pair, the first one is British and the second, American:

BILL (n) = I will pay/foot the BILL  (British English)
CHECK (n) = I will pay the CHECK. (American English)

BISCUIT (n) = Have you got some BISCUIT? (British English)
COOKIE (n) = Do you have some COOKIES? (American English)

CANTEEN (n) = I'll meet you at the CANTEEN. (British English)
CAFETERIA (n) = I'll meet you at the CAFETERIA. (American English)

CRISPS (n) = Susan hates CRISPS. (British English)
CHIPS (n) = Susan hates CHIPS. (American English)

CUTLERY (n) = I am going to buy some CUTLERY. (British English)
SILVERWARE (n) = I am gonna buy some SILVERWARE. (American English)

JUG (n) = Give me a JUG of beer. (British English)
PITCHER (n) = Give me a PITCHER of beer. (American English)

STARTER (n) = Shall we order some STARTER before the main course?
APPETIZER (n) = Let's order some APPETIZER befor the entree? (American English)

SWEETS (n) = Jane is very fond of SWEETS. (British English)
CANDY (n) = Jane is very fond of CANDIES. (American English)

TIN (n) = May I have one more TIN of beer? (British English)
CAN (n) = Can I have one more CAN Of beer? (American English)


(Contd......)

Regards
Jacob (Nova English Campus)

No comments: