Sunday, April 17, 2011

DON'T GIVE EXAMS!

Sentences like ‘I will give my exam next week’, ‘When did you give your exam?’ etc have caused a lot of confusion among many non-native speakers of English.


When you say that you are 'giving’ an exam, it means that you are probably a teacher or examiner who is conducting the examination. And when you say that you are 'taking' an exam, you are going to be writing one; that is you are a student, candidate or examinee.

Unfortunately, in many parts of the world especially in south Asian countries like India (north in particular), Pakistan, Bangladesh etc this distinction is not always maintained. Due to MTI (mother tongue influence), the majority of people in these parts of the world translate their ideas word by word into English. Strange to say, a good number of speakers of English whose mother tongue is Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Bangla, Haryanvi, etc use give in place of ‘take’ and take in place of ‘give’ while talking about an examination. This is ridiculous and totally opposite to Standard English!

So, if you are a candidate or student who has an exam next week, you should say, ‘I will take my exam next week’. This idea can also be conveyed in another way by saying, ‘I will sit my exam next week’ or ‘I will do my exam next week’. But do not say ‘I will take/write my exam next week

On the other hand, if you are a teacher who is going to conduct your students’ exam next week, you must say, ‘I will give you an exam next week’, not ‘I will take your exam next week’.

And now, a tip for the confused users to remember this rule: imagine exam is an ice cream. Examiner is your mother. You mother is giving you the ice cream (examiner is giving you the exam) and you are taking the ice cream (hence, taking the exam)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good and interesting narration!

Unknown said...

Quite intersting! This is one of the mistakes that many of the Indian speakers find difficult to get rid of. Keep blogging such intersting write-ups.