Tuesday, July 27, 2010

EVERYDAY Vs EVERY DAY

Hi friends!

Although I try my best to post something on my blog every day, I fail to do so every now and then, caught up in some everyday busy activities. But I am very thankful to my blog visitors to bear with me, keep supporting me and encourage me to move on.

By the way, there is a twist in the tale. What I mean to say, if you are a careful reader who can feel the pulse of each nuance of standard written English, you might have noticed two 'everydays' in the previous introductory paragraph; one without space (everyday) and the other with a space(every day).

'EVERYDAY' is an adjective which means 'used, done or happening each passing day'.
e.g.
Everyday activities.
A small dictionary for everyday use.
The Internet has become part of everyday life.

In the examples given above, the word 'everyday' has been used as an adjective to modify such objects as 'activities', 'use' and 'life'. Also remember in this kind of use,  'everyday' is used usually before a noun (read the previous examples).

'EVERY DAY', on the other hand, is an adverb, meaning 'each day'.
e.g.
She goes to church every day.
It rains here almost every day.
He makes one or another mistake every day.

In these examples,'every day' is used as an adverb of time which modifies the verbs 'go', 'rain' and 'make'.

I think I made the concept as clear as possible. If you feel a bit confused, please read the explanation till you get the rules etched in your brain.

Thanks for your kind visit
&
Good night from Jack
(Nova English Campus)

1 comment:

Pooja said...

Dear Binu ji,

The above mentioned post is quite clear. You used nice examples and made it as lucid as you could.

Please note that you may write for years; you will always find me following and appreciating you.

Go high and touch the sky...

With Love, Joy & Gratitude,
Pooja Vohra