Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hi friends!

Good Evening!
Hope you are enjoying the blogs evryday. As some of you expressed a few doubts regarding 'PLEONASM', I'm posting some right sentences along with their pleonasm variants below.
The correct usage is given in italics in bold.

That's absolutely necessary.
That's necessary.

We gave them advance warning.
We gave them warning.

Everyone reached at 11 a.m in the morning.
Everyone reached at 11 a.m.
Everyone reached at 11 in the morning.

Books, pens and papers etc.
Books, pens and papers.
Books, pens, papers etc.


I will call you at about 5 p.m.
I will call you at 5 p.m.
I will call you about 5 p.m.

Attach them together.
Attach them.

I'm planning of writing an autobiography of my life.
I'm planning of writing an autobiography.
I'm planning of writing a story about my life.

Is there any automatic ATM machine nearby?
Is there any ATM nearby?

It's a bad evil.
It's an evil.

He doesn't know even the basic fundamentals of Computing.
He doesn't know even the basics of Computing.
He doesn't know even the fundamentals of Computing.

I want cash money.
I want cash.
I want money.

Why are you circling round the tree?
Why are you circling the tree?

Classify these sentences into groups.
Classify these sentences.
Arrange these sentences into groups.

He can climb up the tree.
He can climb the tree.

I don't watch CNN news network.
I don't watch CNN.
I don't watch Cable News Network.


Can I get some cold ice.
Can I get some ice.

We're collaborating together with them.
We're collaborating with them.

What are the component parts of a motor?
What are the components of a motor?
What are the parts of a motor?

Please continue on your work.
Please continue your work.

I couldn't see anything in the dark night.
I couldn't see anything in the night.
I couldn't see anything in the dark.


Compiler: Jacob.
Posted by Nova English Campus

1 comment:

Pooja said...

Hi Mr Jacob,

Thankyou so much for the edition. It is much more transparent and lucid.

With Love,
Pooja