Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ain' I? or Aren't I?

Good Evening Everybody!!

Some contracted forms often used in Spken English:
Don't (Do not)
Doesn't (Does not)
Didn't (Did not)
Aren't (Are not)
Isn't (Is not)
Wasn't (Was not)
Weren't (Were not)
Won't (Will not)
Shouldn't (Should not) etc.

The puzzling question is: what is the contracted form of 'am not'?

Can it be amn't?
No. Although this usage (amn't) is frequently used by the English speakers in Ireland and Scotland, British English has not yet accepted it. Therefore, it is better to avoid this form.
Americans widely use ain't in place of 'am not'. But this usage also has not managed to get acceptance all over the world among the speakers of English though many other American usages are widely accepted.

So, what is the way out? Well, in informal English aren't is used as the contraction of 'am not'. But this form is used mostly in negative affirmative sentences or tag questions only as in:

I am your brother, aren't I? (correct)
After all I am your husband, aren't I? (correct) etc.

BUT..... NEVER USE THE FOLLOWING STRUCTURES...

I aren't coming with you. (incorrect)
I aren't intersted in cricket etc. (incorrect)

                                                                                                                                                                    
Ok Guys.
That's all for tonight. Thank you very much for your interest.
I am waiting to see you all here tomorrow, aren't I? :-) :-))

Regards
Jack (Nova English Campus)

No comments: