Sunday, February 26, 2012

USED TO and USE TO...

You can speak about your past habits in two different ways. One using ‘used to’ and the other using ‘would’. E.g. ‘When I was a child I used to swim well’ or ‘when I was a child I would swim well’.

More examples:
Whenever I shouted at her, she would cry. (past tense)
Whenever I shout at her, she cries. (present tense)

used to speak French fluently in my childhood. (past tense)
I speak French fluently. (present tense)

would go to gym regularly during my college days. (past tense)
I go to gym regularly. (present tense)

Whenever I asked her any doubt she used to ignore me. (past tense)
Whenever I ask her any doubt she ignores me. (present tense)

Now, the question is, if used to expresses a past habit, can we use use to for a present habit? No. From a structural point of view, used to does not have a present tense form. So, to speak about present habits, we should just use the simple present tense e.g. I swim well (not I use to swim well), She speaks English fluently (not She use to speak…..), Jane gets up late every day (not Jane use to get up late….) etc

What about theses sentence?
'I am used to sleeping late at night'.

Is it a correct sentence? And what tense is it in? Yes. It is a correct sentence in simple present tense. The sentence means I am habitual to sleeping late at night. More examples: Tom is used to talking loudly. We are used to living in such conditions etc. Here do remember the way in which used to is used: [am/is/are+used to+gerund (ing form of verb)]. Compare this formula with the other previous examples and understand the difference.

No comments: